Sunday, September 03, 2006

What I've Been Reading Lately

Just finished reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel by Tom Monteleone. It's a very pleasurable read and I can definitely see beginners getting a lot out of it. I got a lot out of it, even if only in the way Tom said something made me really understand some "truth" I had already absorbed or just in reinforcing something I knew. I wish it had been around when I first started; it has a lot of things I learned from various sources all in one place.

I had been reading The Cleansing by John Harvey, but then vacation and book signings and conferences interrupted, so now I'm not sure if I should just start a few chapters back or go all the way back to the beginning. Maybe I'll just try restarting a bit back, to see if I can remember where I was. I do remember that I liked it. Darn, I wish I hadn't been interrupted.

Other than that, I haven't been reading too much lately. Oh, wait. I did finish one more book, Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln. My father-in-law gave me a copy. He had started reading it himself and became so fascinated that he bought an extra copy for me. It was a long read, and I kept finding myself falling asleep. I can't blame the authors for that, though. I tend to read in bed and if I'm tired -- as I was this summer while working day jobs that required me to get up an hour earlier than normal -- I tend to fall asleep. And when I'd try to pick it up the next night, I'd find I couldn't remember the context and would have to re-read quite a bit.

Despite comprehension lapses from falling asleep and despite my appalling memory of the history of Europe, I found it very interesting. My father-in-law simply raves about the beauty of the writing style, but some might find it a little too stilted for modern tastes. The style didn't impress me as much as it did him, but what I did find enjoyable was the way that the authors built up to their conclusions. Of course, with my aforementioned appalling lack of knowledge of European history, there's no way I can judge how sound those conclusions are, but I still found them interesting.






What I've Finished Reading Since My Last Blog...

  • Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln
  • Haunted Massachusetts by Cheri Revai
  • No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty
  • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
  • Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman


No comments: