Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Review: The Red Tree

The Red TreeThe Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The audiobook was just mesmerizing and I don't know if that's a function of the reader or Kiernan's lyrical writing. I can't say I can make sense of this work, but I don't regret listening to it.

I will say, though, that the very end of the book (no spoilers here), where the voice switches to another person/characters, didn't make sense to me. Maybe it refers back to something earlier in the book that I've forgotten. And it's only because of that ending that I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5. Yes, I realize that I might have missed the point because I'm not a sophisticated enough reader, and you might read the book and find it resolves well or is unresolved in a pleasing manner, but this is just how I reacted to it.

Still, there's no doubt that Kiernan is a powerful writer with a strong imagination.

(P.S. Speaking of imagination, there's something about the tree and the otherworldly part that reminds me of King's Lisey's Story.)

View all my reviews

No comments: