Sunday, December 08, 2013

Book Review: The Great Gatsby

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't remember reading this in high school, but even if I did, it's good that I read it now.

Reading it now, after living a bit, I appreciate the difference in class, especially back then, having seen class distinctions change over time. At this time of my life, I've known many self-made people and a few born into money, something I hadn't experienced in high school.

More than that, I could appreciate the beauty of Fitzgerald's prose. I was thoroughly surprised by it. When younger, I would have been too worried about getting a good grade and noticing what I was supposed to notice to actually enjoy it.

This version of the audiobook was read by Tim Robbins who does a great job with all the voices. My only complaint was that when he spoke the part of Tom Buchanan, it was VERY loud, which took a little getting used to when I was wearing earbuds, and some of the dialog spoken by Jordan Baker was too soft. I realize that the volume goes with the character, though, and eventually I got used to it (or they mixed it differently).

The recording includes a selection of letters written by Fitzgerald to his editor, Maxwell Perkins, his agent, Harold Ober, and friends and associates. I know those letters wouldn't have meant as much to me in the days before I knew anything about agents, editors, and the publishing business


View all my reviews

No comments: