Friday, October 04, 2013

Book Review: A Skeleton in the Family

A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)A Skeleton in the Family by Leigh Perry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From the publisher: "Moving back into her parents’ house with her teenage daughter had not been Georgia Thackery’s “Plan A.” But when she got a job at the local college, it seemed the sensible thing to do. So she settled in and began reconnecting with old friends... Including Sid. Sid is the Thackery family’s skeleton. He’s lived in the house as long as Georgia can remember, although no one, including Sid, knows exactly where he came from and how he came to be a skeleton."

What can I say? I loved it. Sid is wisecracking, but in a timid, self-conscious way. He's loyal and protective, and intelligent. In short, he's everything you'd want in a family friend.

I loved the way the mystery built, I loved Sid's wisecracking, and I loved Georgia's logical solving of the problem. Author Leigh Perry did a great job of world-building when she placed Georgia in academia, making the struggles and politics come alive. In this first book, we don't come to understand exactly how Sid is an animated skeleton, but I didn't mind. I was able to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the show.

The narrator of the audiobook did a great job of bringing the characters to life. I expected Sid to be more "up" (yeah, I don't know why), but I easily settled into his dry (what else would you expect?) voice.

I loved the characters and am looking forward to more books in the series. Yay, Sid!

View all my reviews

No comments: