Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Pantry bugs, yuckkk

Hubby made a nice Thai curry last night and when I opened the bag of basmati rice, I was greeted with an multitude of larvae. Yuck. Just what I need. It's nearly Halloween, I'm trying to finish decorating, we have an upcoming trip for his parents' wedding anniversary and now I have a research project about pantry bugs -- not to mention cleaning the closet!

Thank goodness for Google, that's all I can say.

I think they're Indian Meal Moths, and I'm not just saying that because they were in a bag of basmati rice from India.

Check out this web page with pictures o'pests

While he finished the curry, I started the cleaning. Fortunately, the bag was on the floor of the pantry and there were few other penetrable containers there.

But you know me, I tend to get philosophical about the most mundane things. These little tiny guys remind me that with all our "civilization," all our technology and science, we're still at the mercy of pantry bugs. Y'know, we can put a man on the moon...

And that, dear reader, was one of the things that I was trying to say in Darksome Thirst: technology, for all its beauty and gifts, has its limits.




What I'm Reading Now...

  • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
  • Page After Page by Heather Sellers
  • How to Write Killer Fiction by Carolyn Wheat



What I've Finished Reading Recently...

  • The Practical Writer Edited by Therese Eiben and Mary Gannon
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Grammar and Style by Laurie E. Rozakis
  • The Song of an Emerald Dove by Xanna Vinson


No comments: