Friday, February 01, 2008

Happy Groundhog Day

To those outside the United States, the media coverage of Punxsutawney Phil must seem a little absurd. Why do they disturb this poor member of the Marmot family every year on February 2? "According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring." (From http://www.groundhog.org/about/)

Though some consider this a modern event made just for media, the origins go way back. According to the history page on Phil's web site, weather predictions on this day were common, though they didn't disturb poor Phil to do it.

So aside from wondering what the groundhogs who live next to our house will see tomorrow, what have I been up to? Well, for one thing, I'm actually keeping a New Year's resolution! Yup, I promised myself that I would polish up some old short stories and send them out. (I also want to write some new ones, but I won't go so far as to *promise* myself to do that, LOL!) Will let you know how that goes. I sent two out this week.

Speaking of letting you know, in my last post, I asked that if you liked The Old Power Returns, to cast your vote at

http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelh.shtml

I haven't heard back, but I don't think I made the top 10. I left it too late to notify people. I'll let you know how I did when I see the final results posted.

That's all I've been up to so far, but I've got a lot in store the next few months. Boskone, Lunacon, conBust, WisCon, and Necon, and a number of small signings that haven't firmed up yet. I'll be updating my Appearances page as soon as details are nailed down.

That's it for now. Stay warm, and may your Groundhog Day be dark and rainy, which, if I'm interpreting things correctly, means I'm wishing you no more winter!

Morven








That's it for now. Stay warm!

Morven

No comments: