Monday, November 07, 2016

Book Review: Rejection Proof

Rejection Proof: 100 Days of Rejection, or How to Ask Anything of Anyone at AnytimeRejection Proof: 100 Days of Rejection, or How to Ask Anything of Anyone at Anytime by Jia Jiang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As a writer (or job-seeker), you face numerous chances of rejection. I saw the title of this book and thought it might have some useful information and decided to give it a try.

Though it's probably more useful to job-seekers, salespeople, or those seeking funding, it does have some aha moments for the rest of us. I found the following statement very useful for writers, job seekers, and probably actors and other creatives: "The rejection is more about the rejector than the rejectee."

Think about that for a minute. They're not rejecting you, they're rejecting your work, and most likely because it just doesn't appeal to *them*. It doesn't mean it's bad, but that it just doesn't appeal to them. Would/should a parsnip be offended if someone said, "No, thanks" at Thanksgiving dinner? No. It's personal taste (literally, in this example).

If you're having trouble dealing with rejection, this might help. I didn't particularly care for the narration style, but, hey, that's me. I listened to a sample on Audible and decided to go with it anyway. You might find a hardcopy or ebook better.

View all my reviews

No comments: