Thursday, March 03, 2016

Bookreview: Spellcasting in Silk

Spellcasting in SilkSpellcasting in Silk by Juliet Blackwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love Juliet Blackwell's Witchcraft Series for her characters, her setting, and the way she handles magic. It's believable, but not boring.

Uh, maybe I should take back that part about "believeable." Lily has a familiar, a gobgoyle (half goblin, half gargoyle), who provides occasional comic relief and sometimes needed assistance in this cozy paranormal mystery.

Lily Ivory, who is revealed to be a powerful witch, was trained by her Mexican grandmother. The cross-cultural aspects are both beautiful and well-explained, adding depth to the story and intriguing this east-coast reader who has little exposure to Mexican-American magic.

I wasn't expecting the magical aspects of the ending of this book, but it made complete sense. I did guess who might have done it, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment.

The voice talent, Xe Sands, is once again more than up to the task. I really enjoy her voice and characterizations.

View all my reviews

No comments: