Monday, October 09, 2006

What I've Just Finished Reading: How to Write Killer Fiction

Well, I finally finished How to Write Killer Fiction by Carolyn Wheat. It's not because it's a slow read -- it isn't -- but because of the way life is. My reading time gets interrupted, or I get really tired and fall asleep after reading only a couple of sentences, or some other reading material suddenly takes precedence.

In this case, I held off because what I was reading was something I wanted to be awake for, and something that I thought would keep me awake. I had started a new job over the summer, one with earlier hours than I was used to recently, and I was afraid that if I read something very engaging, it would keep me up as I stopped to jot down notes or started to plan how I'd use it in my novel.

This book is geared toward the mystery writer, but since my novels have an element of suspense and since I drop clues like in a mystery novel, I thought it'd be appropriate. I was right. Don't be put off if you're not a mystery writer. This is still a good resource for the horror or suspense writer.

No comments: